Monday, December 2, 2013

Christmas for the Broke Santa Claus

Just when we think we're about to make ends meet somebody goes ahead and mentions that Christmas is around the corner.  That's what happened to me this morning when I heard Mariah Carey's salute to the rich man's holiday with "All I Want for Christmas is You" - Mariah, I'm sure that's not really ALL you want.  You want the fairytale Christmas - the handbag, the earings, the perfume all wrapped neatly in a bow, nestled comfortably in a heap of cotton snow under the tree.
This year we need to stretch our dollars and we need to do more with less.  But can Christmas be done on a budget without whispers of "Scrooge" or "Grinch" forever becoming attached to our name?  I believe so because, after all, its the "thought that counts".  As long as we are thinking of our friends and family this year, our presents will please but our presence will surely be the greatest gift.  Here are some ideas for gifts that are more about consideration and less about cold hard cash:
1) Knit Something!
This year I've decided to crochet everybody a scarf for Christmas. Michaels (www.michaels.com )and AC Moore (www.acmoore.com ) have sales throughout the year on yarn and Savers (www.savers.com) often has 8-lb spools for less than a dollar.  The crochet hook (I use a J) is less than two dollars. The hardest part is finding the time to do it so I bring yarn with me everywhere and whenever there is a long line I take out my crochet hook and get to work.  Anybody can do it - Youtube has a multitude of videos on how. 
2) Coupons
When I was young and broke I used to make "Coupon Books" full of free hugs, assistance with making dinner, foot massages and etc.  This year I'm bringing back the childhood trick with coupons for a romantic dinner for two (that I make), a back massage, bringing in the groceries, bringing out the garbage, movie night and etc.  Create your own "gift certificate" on www.vistaprint.com for starting at $5.99.
3) Look for Deals Starting Yesterday!!
Just before Christmas lots of stores put inventory on clearance to make room for holiday goods - take advantage of these sales by stocking up on whatever seems like a good deal.  The idea is to start a "store" in your house and after you've aquired a bunch of different items you can begin figuring out who is going to get what.  I've done this with a few different stores in the area.  Barnes and Noble (www.barnesandnoble.com) had a huge clearance sale and was getting rid of luxury candles for a dollar so I bought every candle that was in good condition and I've had them at my house for nearly a month now. 
4) Serenade with your Talent
If you are a singer Serenade with a personal song.  If you are a poet serenade with a beautiful poem.  If you are an artist draw a picture.  And the list goes on.  The gift's recipient will feel honored that you've thought to share your talent with them. 
5) Quote
Google a bunch of different quotes and find one that suits the person you need to get a gift for.  Write out the quote neatly and beautifully either on a large canvas or on a small peice of paper so they can carry it in their pocket.  Make the presentation beautiful and shocking - this gift will keep on giving and keep the recipient thinking of you whenever they see it. 
6) Second Hand Gifting
I would have never thought to find a Christmas gift at a yard sale or thrift store - but now I think, "why the heck not"?  We pay top dollar for fine antiques and vintage items.  We would not think twice about wrapping up "depression glass" plates and giving them as a Christmas gift - so why not find a gently-used tennis racket and do the same?  Culture tells us we need new and never used - this year lets turn that ideal on its head.  Go out and find an apron for mom, a box of dress-up cloths for your niece, a watch for dad. 
If you're on Long Island check out one of the area's most noted thrift shop establishments, Selden Thrift at 614 Middle Country Road in Selden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment