Monday, December 9, 2013

The Pursuit of Happiness




Benjamin Franklin said, "the Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness.  You have to catch it yourself." 

The truth is, happiness needs to be pursued constantly because once its caught it gets thrown right back. 

I find that the mood I wake up in does not have to be the way I feel for the entire day.  If I wake up sad, I certainly don't have to stay that way.  I could make my daughter laugh (that certainly puts a smile on both of our faces). Or I could go for a walk.  Or make a hot breakfast. 

And if I wake up happy - for whatever reason - I may not neccessarily be happy for the entire day.  Something could take the wind from my sails.  An overdue bill (ugh, the worst).  An unwanted phone call.  An unfullfilled expectation.  Whatever the cause.  Happiness needs to be maintained throughout the day.

Happiness needs to be pursued like an owner looking for their lost dog.  Smiles and laughter need to be hunted like a lioness hunts her prey.  If I don't hunt for and seek momentary bits of happiness throughout the day, I'm left with the moods that others provide for me.  An angry customer service representative from Verizon - anger.  A sad commercial about abused puppies on tv - saddness.  A bitter barista at starbucks.  A melancholy teller at the bank.  A middle-finger wielding driver on the road.  Depressed, depressed, depressed!!

Just smile!  When someone gives you a reason to cry today, smile instead.  Just like anger and sadness, happiness is contagious too!  So laugh at every joke and smile at every middle-finger wielding maniac on the road today.  It is your right to pursue happiness - so go do it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment