Monday, December 16, 2013

To-Day To-Do


To-day I choose To-do. 
My life has become like a strawberry-banana-kiwi smoothie at Jamba Juice.  The days blend into one another like fruit and cream and I'm left with nothing but the sweet aftertaste of a week gone-by. 
I can't help but wonder what happens to these days that we happily throw into the blender!  I'm talking about the days we spend in our pajamas.  The days we don't brush our teeth.  The days we choose to watch an all-day Law and Order SVU marathon.  The days we say "I'll do that tomorrow".  These "smoothie" days seem to happen more often than I would like. 
It is already December 16 - half a month has gone by.  I open my calendar and take a look back on the two weeks I've had to progress and change and move forward in this last month of 2013.  What do I find? Nothing.  Blank space.  No doctor's appointments scribbled in the margins of my calendar.  No playdates penciled in with Jillian and Dylan.  Nada.
All 16 days go into the blender to create one very creamy smoothy! 
I've wasted these days not only because I spent many of them in my pajamas but also because I'm not accountable to myself.  I have no record of what I've done so there is no way I can track my progress, change and forward movement.  Even the smallest accomplishments of a day can be measured throughout the month to make progress.  For example one job application a day for 16 days is nearly a dozen and a half job opportunities sought in the course of a month.   
To-day I chose To-do.  I have written each accomplishment of today down so that I can track my progress in January.  I have one month to see how far I've come.  Already checked off for today: car cleaned, four doctor's appointments made, playdate set.  It feels great to put those actions down on a list and say "I did that today." 
Next on the agenda - a ice cold Bahama Mama smoothie from Tropical Smoothie cafe.  For some reason I'm craving blended ice, cream and fruit.    

No comments:

Post a Comment