Thursday, September 17, 2015

"Mommy is Home"

Bayport, NY - Because I'm a working mother, I accept the fact that my daughter wants me home with her when I can't be. I have to make money and the only way to do that is to work at a job.
When I come home I want Annabella to know that I'm all hers, so this is what I do.

1) Put on my "Mommy Clothes" - my mom used to call them her "Mommy Clothes". These are clothes that I change into every day after I get home from work.  These clothes are more relaxing than the jeans or suits that people wear to work. "Mommy Clothes" are sweatpants or a house dress for example (dress down time). "Mommy Clothes" signal to Annabella that I'm home to stay. I'm not leaving for the night. 

2) Give her the rundown on how you will spend your night. If you're a mom like me, you're schedule might only allow a chance for you to have dinner together on the weekends. So during the week, let her know that you'll be playing for the next hour, Then maybe a 15 minute tv show and a snack. Then it's time for reading. Then prayers. And then bed! Give her that itinerary to make sure she knows she can count on your established routine. 

3) Bring home a "special" once a week. A "special" is something that Annabella earns for good behavior. I purchase it once a week when I get my paycheck. It's either something that she points out on tv or a game or craft that we can do together. Once Annabella gets her "Special" she knows that we will be exploring it together and mom is home to stay.

4) MOST IMPORTANTLY - stop all electronics for those few precious hours that you're together. No answering texts or e-mails! It's time for Annabella to know that mommy is home for good and that she is now the center of attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment